5. Tarzan in the big city and laws of the internet

To be entirely honest, I have spent a good amount of time thinking over my internet life, Virginia Shea laws and real-life examples.

In a way one of the laws "Adhere to the same standards of behavior online that you follow in real life" is the one where I could think of examples from my life, however these examples would probably not make for a very exciting blog article.

The thing is, I am generally rather an introverted person, an observer, I am generally listening more than speaking and this is exactly the way I behave online as well as in real life.

Taking verbal battles on internet as an example, I take these on just as I take on the real life battles.
In majority of cases there are people out there, that are very prone to share their opinions. They tend to be quick to express it and the thing about it, is that majority of comments can be categorized into 2-3 categories. There is always a supporter, an opposer and a guy in the middle.

While the battle online goes on, my question is usually: do we need yet another person´s opinion that will not be revolutionary and will be repeating what has already been said? Probably not.

Of course the case might be slightly different in real life. The amount of people involved in a verbal fight will probably be smaller and in such cases the importance of standing on the right side might be much more important (and the right side is of course the side of ethical and respectful behavior).

Taking internet reviews as a next example, and this is where my major digital contribution is, probably. I leave reviews every now and then and just as in real life, I enjoy leaving the positive more comments than the negative once, however if I have a bad experience, I won't hide it either. Constructive criticism and straightforward approach with respect to the other party is the way for me to go, let it be on yelp, tripadvisor or in the office.

So overall I do not deem this approach a correct one, but surely behaving online as you do offline is something that every internet user should do. It is not about making or not making a contribution to the digital world, it is more about standing by your values, and approaching any internet conversation as you would do in a real life. Weigh out your answers, analyse and the main thing - be respectful to others.
And as for myself, I do think that sometimes it is best to keep opinions to yourself if it does not make any contribution or provide any value to others. Of course, in some cases we might not be aware of the power we have and of the contribution we can make with a small action., sometimes we might have more power or influence that we thought we do. Surely, it also feels great to create rather than to stand aside and be a silent consumer. I guess, overall the use of common sense and desire to make a positive input should be our guide in life.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

13. Tactile

2. Do you remember an answering machine?

7. Copyleft